Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Nothing is impossible with God.

Tonight I am unable to sleep. Thoughts about Luke 1:35-38 have flooded my mind for the last few weeks. I have seen these words everywhere- on necklaces, on a notepad I got for Christmas, on the radio, in a sermon... and what a wonderful and difficult thing to ponder. What does this passage really mean? What does faith actually do when we are uncertain of our future? What does it mean when the answers we want so badly aren't coming the way we want or at the speed we're comfortable with? I have been disappointed in more ways than I can count this week...but in that disappointment, I remember what the angel spoke to Mary:
And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God. And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her who was called barren. For nothing will be impossible with God.” And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her. (Luke 1:35-38 ESV)
Nothing is impossible with God. How can I give up hope when Jesus gave me a new and beautiful reason to live? I may cry or get nervous about what is next, but I love Jesus. And that is enough for me. Elisabeth once said, "Faith is not an instinct. It certainly is not a feeling - feelings don't help much when you're in the lions' den or hanging on a wooden Cross. Faith is not inferred from the happy way things work. It is an act of will, a choice, based on the unbreakable Word of a God who cannot lie, and who showed us what love and obedience and sacrifice mean, in the person of Jesus Christ." I happen to agree with her tonight. God has given me little reminders all over town these past few weeks "Nothing is impossible with ME."
My answer to God: YOU'VE GOT MY ATTENTION. I AM THE SERVANT OF THE LORD. LET IT BE TO ME ACCORDING TO YOUR WORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment