Friday, December 30, 2011

The Living Proof

I recently watched "The Help." It was so incredible. If you haven't seen it, see it! Since then, I've had Mary J. Blige's song "The Living Proof" on repeat. This song speaks to me and this journey we are on together as we anticipate Christ's return. Yes, I understand that Mary most likely didn't intend for her words to be used with this in mind but bear with me for a moment...
As members of the Body of Christ, we bear witness to the Living Truth that is Christ Jesus. Our lives, in their entirety, are the Living Proof that He exists. Our pain, our choices, our relationships, our failures, our missteps, our passion, and our faith... they matter. As believers in Jesus Christ, we follow a God that walked in our shoes, took our suffering on His shoulders, and gave us freedom that we cannot destroy. We move ahead and pick up our feet everyday because He first showed us how. Mary J. Blige is on to something here:
"It's gonna be a long long journey
It's gonna be an uphill climb
It's gonna be a tough fight
It's gonna be some lonely nights... but I'm ready to carry on
I'm so glad the worst is over
I can start living now
I feel like I can do anythin' ... and finally I'm not afraid to breathe
Anything you say to me
And everything you do
You can't deny the truth... Cause I'm the living proof
So many don't survive
They just don't make it through
But look at me...I'm the living proof
Thinkin' back life's been painful
Took a while to learn how to smile
So now I'm gonna talk to my people about the storm
So glad the worst is over
I can start flyin' now
My best days are right in front of me
And I'm almost there cause now I am free
I know where I'm goin'
Cause I know where I've been
I gotta few stars that showin'
I'm gonna stay strong keep goin'
Nothing about my life's been easy
But nothings gonna keep me down
Cause I know a lot more today
Than I knew yesterday
So I am ready to carry on
Oh Lordy..."
Thank you, Mary J. Blige, for reminding me that I'm a part of the living proof that Christ exists today.

No comments:

Post a Comment