Monday, September 26, 2011

Only God Can Name Me

I read a little this morning from Paula Rinehart's "Better Than My Dreams". In it, she writes, "God wants us to listen through the noise: there is a Voice, and that Voice predates every negative voice in your head. His deeper magic is truth. No abuse can undo it. No condemning words in your past absolutely have to shape your future. There is a deeper magic, and it's unspeakably strong stuff. We have been ushered into life with an invitation engraved in blood, delivered in the body of a suffering God with our names on His lips. The road home, always, is allowing myself to be brought back to this simple place over and over again- and often by the impetus of a difficult relationship. I let the love and blessing of Christ on my life be enough because it is. I get captivated by the deepest magic of all. I hear him name me as his own- and I let that stick to my ribs. When I do, it no longer feels like someone is standing on my air hose. My life and my worth are not at the mercy of any human being. From here, I can actually offer myself to others with a measure of unconscious abandon. I get to give a teaspoon of the very love that's flowing through me. That, I realize, is the magic at its very best. " Praise the Lord for this reminder today. Only God can name me- as His own.
Bless our God, O peoples; let the sound of his praise be heard, who has kept our soul among the living and has not let our feet slip. For you, O God, have tested us; you have tried us as silver is tried. You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water; yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance."- Psalm 66:8-12

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie, I was drawn by the title of this post and found you through Kristen's blog...didn't know it was you until I finished reading...sooo appreciate your words. May their truth, His truth, sink down deep into our souls. And do come back to Georgia for a visit sometime!

    ReplyDelete