Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Prayer during Singleness

Hannah Whitall Smith, in her letter to a single woman wrote, " No soul can be really at rest until it has given up all dependence on everything else and has been forced to depend on the Lord alone. As long as our expectation is from other things, nothing but disappointment awaits us. Feelings may change, and will change, with our changing circumstances: doctrines and dogmas may be upset; Christian work may come to naught; prayers may seem to lose their fervency; promises may seem to fail; everything that we have believed in or depended upon may seem to be swept away, and only God is left, just God, the bare God, if I may be allowed the expression; simply and only God... This, then, is what I mean by God being enough. It is that we find in Him, the fact of His existence and of His character, all that we can possibly want for everything. God is, must be, our answer to every question and every cry of need. If there is any lack in the One who has undertaken to save us, nothing supplementary we can do will avail to make it up; if there is no lack in Him, then He of Himself and in Himself is enough."

Dear Heavenly Father,
Yes, it's me again. I wanted to thank you for all that you have done to show me the kind of woman you are molding me to be. Thank you for loving me well, especially because I don't deserve it. I turn my eyes away from yours often and I choose my own way. I take the gifts you give to me and the whispered path you want me on, gather up my bags, and leave earlier than you ask. I'm an impatient woman, who tends to desire ease and false security when I know you have called me to live a life of faith. I don't trust that you will bring the gifts my way, especially the love of a husband. Truthfully, Father, I do not trust your timing in the story and I certainly don't like to hand over my control, especially in the area of relationships. Father, please forgive me. Help me to be patient. Help me to put my hope in You, and wait patiently for what You will provide, in Your own time, in Your own way. Forgive me for living even a moment of life drenched in fear rather than drenched in faith. Help me to focus on becoming a woman worth waiting for and give me the courage to trust you when that time comes. You are a God of incredible power, with incredible truths pouring out on your children. Thank you that you love us this much to wait patiently and discipline us with your Great Love. When the angel told Mary she would carry the body of Your only Son, she said, "I am the Lord's servant, and I am willing to accept whatever He wants." (Luke 1:38) Lord, teach me this faith. My heart is fuller because you dwell there. Thank you that you let me see your face, and let your beauty reflect on me.
Thank you for calling me "Yours". Now THAT is love.
Yours first,
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment